Sunday, April 19, 2009

Some straight talk about Adam and Steve


Being an atheist I can say with what I feel is certainty that God didn’t make Adam and Steve. God may not have made them but biology did. People act like homosexuality is something new. It’s been here since we have been here and it’s not going away either.


This brings us to the issue of Gay Marriage. As far as I’m concerned it’s really a non issue. We don’t tell blacks they can’t marry. We have no laws on interracial marriage or on any religious groups getting married. The only people left in America who faces discrimination for simply being who they are the gay and lesbian community. As far as I am concerned as a private citizen it is not my place to put restrictions on what two consenting adults do behind a closed door.


I have known gay people over the years and this is what I found out. The only difference between them and me was who they loved. If we are essentially the same why should I have the right to marry and protect the person of my choice with health insurance, life insurance, and the knowledge that I am respected for being nothing more than being who and what I am.
Earlier I called this a non issue and say this because it goes beyond being a simple issue. It’s a travesty that millions of Americans are being denied to the fundamental right to live their lives to the same full extent you and I do. If we were doing this based on the color of someone’s skin we’d all be up in arms, but we act like it’s ok to do it based on someone’s sexuality and that sickens me. If we are to truly be that land of free and the home of the brave we shouldn’t discriminate against anyone for anything.


At the end of the day is the gay married couple living next door to hurting you in any way?

I know the standard argument it sets a bad example for the children. Lord knows we wouldn’t want our kids learning to judge people by their deeds and actions as opposed to who they sleep with.
And of course there has never been a boy who grew up in a happy two parent family who turned out to be gay has there?


Elections and laws are about making things better for America (or at least they are supposed to be) not for keeping one very large segment our population second class citizens.

5 comments:

  1. Too bad your not gay I would marry you myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just we what we need another fuckin flag lover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing for you that your marriage to the first annonymous isn't legal in NV, don't get up in arms just yet... there's still time....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The two statements attributed to me above were not made by me. I have changed my password and upgraded my security and we should not see this again.

    ReplyDelete