Sunday, April 19, 2009

He's gone and done it again


Once again I have to put another check mark in the he did something right column for President Obama. I like the idea of reaching out to our enemies depending on of course which enemy is it is. Personally I see nothing wrong with extending the hand of friendship to Hugo Chavez. Unless I’m mistaken the worst thing he has done is call George W. Bush the devil and frankly you don’t have to go to Venezuela to hear that statement. There are plenty of people here at home that would be glad to tell you the same thing.

As far as I can tell the worst thing that can happen in having Mr. Chavez as a friend of the US is we have one less enemy. Perhaps we may even learn how his country has all but wiped out the use of gasoline and how his country runs almost exclusively on renewable energy.

As far as starting talks with Raul Castro I’m all for that too. I don’t think President Obama is asking for too much from Cuba and apparently either do they as they are willing to talk.

I like how President Obama seems not to put taking a put up or shut up attitude with these people. The US for reasons both real and imagined has had a tainted for too long and I see the President doing what he can to fix this. Perhaps we may be moving into an era of understanding of who we are as a people and what we stand for that other people can relate to.

In his speech today the President said he is making sure that our nation is a leader, not a lecturer, of democracy. I can buy that whole heartily provided he doesn’t make the same mistake President Bush did which is force democracy on people who want it. It’s time for us to face that are people out there who don’t want freedom and wouldn’t know what to with it if they had it. As long as their governments aren’t a threat to the American people I say leave them alone and find what common ground we have with them.
It wouldn’t hurt my feelings any if for the first time in a long time more people liked the US than didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment