Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Since when did hot dogs become Chinese Food


It seems even the babies born in our local hospitals have a sticker in their neck that reads made in China.

It is a loteasier to ask what isn’t made in China anymore.

Please don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against China or its people. I admire the position they have cut out for themselves not just as a super power but as an economic force to reckon with. Remember when America was an economic force to be reckoned with too?

I understand that some people because of finances have no choice but to go Wal-Mart or the dollar store and buy a cheap plastic dish or worse tonight’s dinner made from foods that were made in China. The truth is I’ve been there myself.

Beside the destruction this is doing to our economy, the other problem with it is Chinese manufacturing and safety standards are subpar compared to our own here at home. Americans are getting sick and dying from Chinese made products like milk, baby formula, the paint in our children’s toys, to the dry wall in our homes.

I am the guy who would stand on his roof with a megaphone screaming buy American till I lost my voice and then start a recording of the same message.

The problem with buying American is it’s a lot like going green.

It’s a wonderful idea that most people agree with and they do what they can to reduce their carbon footprint, but it just isn’t practical to ride a bicycle on the 25 mile commute to the office.
I would like to see us all try to increase our American footprint.

I do what I can.

I try to shop at local shops instead of Wal-Mart or other large chains. I do my best to keep the money I spend as close to my own neighborhood as possible.
If there are any American cars companies left when I’m ready to buy again it will be made in America.
I try to go to Mom and Pop coffee shops and restaurants instead of a chain.
These are only small first steps we can take to recover our economy. The largest journey begins with a single step.

I would like everyone who reads this to try something for me.

For one day please make everything you buy an American made product. Than please let me know how much more you paid for that product and how far out of your way you had to go to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment