Sunday, May 3, 2009

Will Blog For Food


I have to wonder just how the times we live in have made the man I am instead of the man I should be.

For those not aware I live in Las Vegas, NV. You can’t walk 20 feet anywhere in this town without someone coming up and begging you for money. They are at every stop light with their cardboard signs reading Hungry Please Help, Disabled Vet, Spread the Love, and my personal favorite Why Lie I Need a Beer.

Call me cruel but I work for a living and that’s how I get my money. Nobody gives me anything and I don’t ask for anything that I don’t feel I’ve earned.

I never have had one attack of conscience in saying no to anyone until today.

I had just parked and was walking to pay my cell bill and I passed a teenager holding one of those cardboard signs who looked me in the eye and asked could I spare some change so see could get some food for her son. I gave my standard sorry and my first thought was she wants money for drugs. I’m funny about drugs. I won’t pretend I have never done my share drugs; I’ve done my share and yours too but I’ve been clean for 15 years so If some is looking for drug money they are asking the wrong guy.

So went to pay my bill and I started thinking what if she really does have a son that’s hungry and I didn’t do anything to help? Am I so jaded that I did I not do what I could to feed a kid? After all it’s not the kids fault they are hungry and it may not even be the mothers fault.

I decided I wouldn’t give her any money but I’d take her to the supermarket and buy her a few meals.

When I went back she was gone and it was the first time a beggar made me feel like a first class prick.

Even if she was trying to scam me for drug money I should have bought her some food.
If you know how to decide who to help I’d sure love to know because I can’t figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment